Friday, August 6, 2010

Kick Off of The 3-Day Cancer Walk



This morning was amazing. Incredibly emotional. We got out of bed at 5:30, woke Margo and headed over to Northbrook Court for the opening ceremonies of the 3 Day Cancer Walk. Several thousand walkers and supporters were already there. We were completely blown away. Our families and some special friends were also there waiting to hug, kiss and support us. I can't adequately express the flood of emotions that overwhelmed us at that moment. I've even got tears in my eyes right now as I look at the pictures and write this post.

Our cousin Deborah (hugging Sara and Margo in the picture) is officially the highest fundraiser for the Chicago Walk. She raised just over $25,000 with all of your help. (I know we've said it so many times but again, THANK YOU!). To recognize that accomplishment the Walk organizers asked her to carry the "Friendship" flag today and on Sunday during the closing ceremonies. She will also get to sleep in the "fancy" New Balance tent tonight and tomorrow at the campground. (She'll have an air mattress, pillow and a light -- never before did that seem "first class" but for this 60-mile walk, it certainly is!).

We'll stop at a cheering station later this morning to see Deborah and tomorrow I'll be meeting up with her to walk 15 miles (just like our training session a few weeks ago). On Sunday a big contingent of the Lewis and Fishman clans (and friends) will go to Soldier Field at 4:30 to watch the walkers enter the stadium and achieve their goal. We'll also cheer for Sara who will be up on stage fulfilling one of her many goals -- successfully fighting this disease while growing our baby! If anyone wants to come along, we'd absolutely love it. It will, without a doubt, be an emotionally-inspiring afternoon.

After the weekend we'll be one step closer to baby! Oh, speaking of the baby, you can mark your calendars for August 30! That's the date the doctors will induce. And by the way, if you can think of good-luck tricks (knocking on wood, rubbing two sticks together, throwing salt over your shoulder, etc.) that might encourage the baby to turn around from the breech position in the next 3 weeks, go ahead and do them. We'll take any help we can get at this point!

That's it for now. I'll post again over the weekend.

xoxo,
Brian

5 comments:

  1. Brian, my teammates and I were standing close to the stage during the closing ceremonies today, up against the fence, and we saw Sara. Thanks to your blog, we recognized her and called out her name. I think she was a bit confused :) But I wanted to write this because I just wanted to let you and Sara know that we are truly moved by your story, and just the sight of Sara, and her wave, brought us all to tears. Sara is an incredible woman. We wish you the best. Our team name is Teresa's TaTa's, and we hope to see you both next year!
    Love,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I was watching ABC News on Channel 7 tonight and saw Sara's smiling face at the closing ceremonies! I couldn't believe it! I recognized my scarf on her head which is the one I wore when I delivered my baby last October.

    How exciting that the her due date is almost here. Has she stopped chemo yet to get her counts up before the delivery? My oncologist made me take off 4 weeks before I could give birth. I'm seeing him this week for my second 3-month check-up. Time is flying! My son is 9 1/2 months and I am 6 months post-cancer treatments! Amazing!

    I've been thinking about your family so much this summer. We were away for almost 4 weeks and are home now. I'd love to see y'all before the baby is born.

    Keep being strong!
    xxoo
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I walked this past weekend for my mother. I was so moved to see Sara on the stage. Just want to say that you all are in my prayers. I pray for health and strength to Sara and your baby.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian-
    THANK YOU for posting and keeping Sara's supporters close to what's happening. I was crying reading your posting and the comments from those who Sara's Story has touched.
    Sara- you are in my daily thoughts, daily prayers. Our inability to actually see each other in person (Emmy is all clear now-- virus gone) in so not a reflection of how often you are on our minds. Stay strong and know that you have an army of love and support behind you. I'll text you for a different date.
    xoxo,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sara,
    i'm thinking about you. Very sad to hear - lotsof hugs to you and your family.
    Keep fighting.
    Stor stor klem fra Kim og Vigdis

    ReplyDelete