Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Closing Ceremonies of Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk





Sara and I talked tonight about the good things that happened to us this summer. We were able to come up with several without much effort. Despite all that's happened, there we were standing in the kitchen smiling as we remembered the happy times from the last few months. While this wouldn't be a summer to repeat if we had the choice, we did actually manage to enjoy ourselves. Pretty cool.

At the top of the list was the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk. The whole weekend -- from the opening ceremonies, to my 16 mile walk with Deborah on Saturday, to the closing ceremonies at Soldier Field on Sunday -- was emotional and inspiring. The weekend was a big milestone for us and now that it is over, we can begin focusing on the home stretch.

Just briefly, Sunday's experience was very special. We changed into our pink shirts and filled the car with our signs and other gear. As we got close to Soldier Field we saw the line of walkers getting close to the finish line. (Kleenex moment #1). After we parked, we saw hundreds of people waiting on the lawn for the ceremony to begin. Families were having picnics, listening to music, and clapping for the walkers. Everyone was waiting for, among other things, the big moment the walkers would approach the stage and hold up a shoe to salute the brave people fighting breast cancer. (Kleenex moment #2). Then we saw Deborah. I can't adequately put into words what I felt when she embraced Sara and Margo, so let's just call that Kleenex moments #3 through #100!

Eventually it came time for Sara to walk out on stage with Deborah. I saw them holding hands and crying. Then I heard Margo atop my shoulders say, "There's mommy!" I went numb. That was the moment when this event, Sara's battle, and the love all around us broke me. Everything went silent for (what felt like) a minute as I thought about the enormity of what we've been through and how thankful I am to have my two smiling girls with me. The adrenaline of that moment was the most intense I've ever felt. I flipped Margo off my shoulders and gave her an enormous bear hug. I'm surprised I didn't crush her! I engulfed Sara with a similar hug when she returned from the stage. I hope these pictures that I've attached give you a sense of the emotion from that amazing day.

And now we can strictly focus on the baby for the next few weeks. The induction has been changed to August 23. Everything's fine -- the doctors just don't think we should wait that extra week. Sara's fourth round of chemo (which was supposed to be today) was postponed so that she can be strong on the 23rd (and before). The baby can come at any point now, so we are packing Sara's bag tonight and putting it by the door. (Doesn't that just conjure up the image of 70's sitcoms where the very pregnant wife wakes her husband asking for water and before she can ask he's out the door in his boxers, suitcase in hand, wife at home getting her own water?!). Yep, that'll be me.

Anyway, hopefully my next post will be from the hospital on the 23rd. With any luck I'll be wearing more than just my boxers.

Brian

3 comments:

  1. still praying for you all! Got a glimpse of Sara backstage on Sunday and could not hold back the emotions. I was then blessed to have a moment when I stopped to say a few short words to her when I was leaving Soldier field after the ceremony. Can't wait to hear when the baby arrives!

    TERESA of Teresa's Ta Ta's Chicago 3 Day team

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow your amazing story frequently and continue to pray for all of you. I also walked as part of the No lumps,bumps and dimples club this year at Chicago and was pleased to see Sara on stage looking fabulous. Your story is very inspiring to me and want you I think of you and your family frequently...stay strong and keep fighting..can't wait to see photos of your new baby soon. You are why we walk and continue to raise breast cancer awareness. God bless you! April

    ReplyDelete
  3. I walked last weekend as well - seeing Sara on stage really struck a cord. Thank you for creating this blog, it's so upbeat and inspirational, which I can imagine can't always be easy with what you're going through. I will pray for your family and keep on reading!

    PS. You should sell Sara's bracelets!

    ReplyDelete