Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cancer Free!




Monday started off being a rough day. Now that she's finished with chemo, Sara's oncologist ordered CT scans of her chest and abdomen to make sure the cancer is gone. When we arrived at the hospital, I noticed that everything about the radiology department seemed dark -- the lights in the waiting room were dim and the nurses' scrubs were gray. I sat in an uncomfortable chair outside of the women's dressing room as Sara disappeared behind the door to disrobe, put on a (dark colored) hospital gown, and headed back to the scanner. I pretended that I wasn't worried, but I was. Sara pretended too. A half hour later Sara returned, dressed and ready to go. Quickly. We had to get out of there.

Several agonizing hours later, I arrived home from work to find my girls playing in the kitchen. Sara was obviously trying to stay occupied. We didn't mention what was on our minds. No word yet from the doctor.

And then we saw the red light blinking on the answering machine. Sara missed the call a half hour earlier. Before I could even process the enormity of what we were about to hear, Sara hit the button and we heard the best news any family touched by cancer could hear -- "It's Dr. Merkel. Good news. The scans are perfectly clean. Have a good night." Oh. My. God.

Sara shrieked. I screamed. We both lost it and cried. Big tears of relief and joy. Awesome!

So now Sara awaits her reconstructive surgery tomorrow (Dec 23) and the radiation that will start in January. She is excited, energized and ready to move on.

I read a quote somewhere that "Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." I believe in the deepest place in my heart that Sara's positive outlook throughout this whole ride allowed us to get to this point where she is cancer free! Way to go, honey! And thank you.

Happy and healthy new year to everyone.

Brian

P.S. The picture above is the cover of the Kellogg Cancer Center's 2010 Annual Report. My beautiful wife is on the cover! If that's not inspirational, I don't know what is!

2 comments:

  1. That is the best news we ever heard! We love you all and can't wait to celebrate with you in the new year.

    Stacey and Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian and Sara,

    I just caught up on your blog.. both of your girls are beautiful and Sara's story over the last 7 months is a lesson for us all about inner strength, the importance of each day and the depth from which we should be living. Thank G-d for your cancer free results - YEAH!!!!!!!! We are celebrating for you in Dallas and our thoughts have been with you constantly. Good luck on the reconstructive surgery today... sending more prayers, although we know you will pull through with grace as you have everything else. Sending you so much love, many thoughts and abrazos, Sue (with love from Greg, Zachary and Noah too!)

    ReplyDelete